- Do you rent kayaks? Yes! We rent kayaks, canoes, & SUPs (stand-up paddle boards). See rentals page for rates and details on rental equipment.
- Do you sell kayaks? Yes! We sell kayaks, canoes, & SUPs, paddles, life jackets, roof racks and all paddling accessories you need. Our Portlandville location is the main retailer carrying all the top brands.
- What do I need to rent a boat from you?Someone over the age of 18 must accompany every party that goes out on the water. All persons over the age of 16 will need to sign our liability wavier.
We accept cash or credit cards...
It's always smart to bring water, sun protection, snacks and a healthy dose of curiosity!
Please don't disturb the wildlife and leave the flowers blooming and always respect private property.
- Do I need a reservation?First come first serve for rentals. Reservations are appreciated for groups of 10 or more but not required.
- What are your hours?Portlandville (Main Location)
May & September 10am - 6pm
June - August | Open Monday-Sat: 9am-6pm | Sunday 10am-5pmBrookwood Point*
Closed for SeasonGlimmerglass State Park*
Closed for Season*Brookwood Point & Glimmerglass State Park Locations are weather dependant please call ahead or check website for updates.
Regardless of weather we are always open in Portlandville.
- Where are you located?We have 3 locations:
Portlandville: 2828 NY-28 Portlandville, NY 13834
Brookwood Point: 6000 State Highway 80, Cooperstown NY 13326
Glimmerglass State Park: 1527 State Highway 31, Cooperstown NY 13326
One phone number: 607.286.7349
- What if I have never kayaked or paddled before?No worries! This is the perfect place to learn. The water is calm and the current is slow, so you don't need to be a pro to navigate your way around. We want you to come back with a smile on your face. We'll gladly show you the ropes and give you any tips you might need so that your maiden voyage is a successful one! We are ACA certified instructors and will be happy to help you.
- Are life jackets and paddles included in the rental?Yes life jackets and paddles are included in the price of the rental. If you need extra you can rent them.
- Do you have equipment for kids?Most definitely! There's no age limit on our end. It's all about what the parent and child are comfortable with. We'll work with you to set you up for success!
- How long is a half day rental? How long is a whole day rental?half day: 1- 4 hrs. full day: 4-8 hrs. week: 4-7 days
- How many people fit in your boats? Or in a tandem kayak?2 adults and 1 child can fit comfortably in a canoe.
We have boats that hold 2 adults and 2 children under 100 lbs. Tandem kayaks hold 2 adults and 1 child 30-50 lbs. Addiontal charge $5 per person for any boat or tandem kayak holding more than 2 people.
- What is the water like? Is it fast?The river at the Portlandville location is classified as "moving flat water". There is very little current; a first timer can easily paddle up river for 10 miles. Since we are located in the foothills of the Catskills, the waterway is sheltered and the water is usually very calm. You can also paddle down river to Goodyear Lake from our dock. We have over 15 miles of paddling right from our dock that does not require shuttle service. Regardless of weather we are always open in Portlandville.
Brookwood & Glimmerglass locations on located on Otsego Lake. There is little to no current. Wind can sometimes be a factor at these locations, if it is too windy we may close for the day. Please visit our website for up-to-date closure information or call us.
- Do you rent fishing poles? Can I fish from a kayak or a canoe?Yes, we rent fishing poles for $10 a day, including a basic tackle box. We also sell worms, poles, and tackle. Yes, you can fish from our boats.
- Do you rent motorboats/Jet skis? Sorry no motors - our boats are powered by YOU!
- Do you sell used kayaks?Yes! Check out our competitive pricing for new boats and accessories all season. Every Day is Demo Day! Portlandville is the main retail location.
- Are there places to have lunch and or swim?Goodyear Lake (portlandville location) - Silliman Cove - Park w/ picnic tables and fishing pier, open to the public, 1 -1.5 hr paddle from our shop.
Susquehanna River (portlandville location) - Crumhorn Park w/ picnic tables, 1-1.5 hour paddle from our shop or 3.3 miles.
Otsego Lake - There are many restaurants on the water, Blue Mingo grill is the closest to Brookwood Point about a 20 minute paddle away. From the Glimmerglass state park restaurants are a decent paddle away but there is a concession stand located at the park on the beach.
The easiest way to swim is right off of your paddle board. If you are in a kayak or canoe we recommend not getting out of your boat.
Goodyear Lake - you could swim at Silliman cove, there are not lifeguards and it is swim at your risk.
Otsego Lake - 3 mile point is a public swim area approx 40 minute paddle from Brookwood Point.